The current Linn County Jail opened in May 1989 with 114 beds, replacing the old 24-bed jail at the Courthouse that had been in use since 1939.
By 1995 the rising inmate population necessitated the addition of 20 beds to the existing housing unit. This was done by double bunking single bed cells. In January 1998 the east wing of the Jail was opened, adding two 48-bed cell blocks, increasing the Jail’s capacity to 230 inmates.
In 2009, 6,002 offenders were processed through the jail with an additional 790 out-of-custody offenders processed by the Support Services Division records section. The offenders who were processed were charged with virtually every conceivable crime, with charges ranging from minor traffic offenses to aggravated murder. In calendar year 2009, the average daily inmate population was 210.