We are now accepting appointments for new or county transfer concealed handgun licenses and fingerprints. Please call 541-967-3907 to schedule.
If you need to renew or change address for your CHL, please send by mail to:
PO Box 100
Albany OR 97321
Renewals, address changes, or replacements will be accepted by mail or email.
1. Complete an application found at: https://www.linnsheriff.org/wp-content/uploads/CHL-2018-Fillable.pdf.
2 .Send in the completed application with payment to:
- Linn County Sheriff’s Office
- PO Box 100
- Albany OR 97321
- OR by email to All_Civil@linnsheriff.org
- Costs: Renewal $50
- Address: change $15
Credit card information can be accepted by phone after your CHL application has been received.
***These measures are temporary until we no longer need to follow social distancing.***
The Civil Division is responsible for processing and issuing concealed handgun licenses to residents of Linn County for the purpose of being able to lawfully carry a handgun concealed in the State of Oregon. The licenses are good throughout Oregon, however, there are some areas that are restricted to concealed carry. There are just under 11,000 persons in Linn County who are licensed to carry a handgun concealed. The division processes over 1,000 new and renewal applications per year.
To qualify for a concealed handgun license you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen. You may apply if you are not a U.S. citizen provided that you have lived in Linn County for at least six months and have written proof that you have declared your intent to become a citizen with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service.
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Be a resident of Linn County.
- Not have any outstanding warrants for your arrest.
- Not be awaiting trial in a criminal matter or currently completing a diversion agreement. Minor traffic infractions such as speeding do not count as a criminal matter. Traffic crimes such as DUII are a criminal matter.
- Never been convicted of a felony.
- Not have been convicted of a misdemeanor within the last four years.
- Never have been convicted of a crime of domestic violence.
- Not have been found to be mentally ill under ORS 426.130.
- Not be subject to a stalking order or restraining order.
- Not be an unlawful user of, or addicted to, a controlled substance.
- Not have been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.
- Not be required to register as a sex offender in any state.
- If you were under the jurisdiction of the juvenile court for certain offenses, it must be more than four years since discharge.
- You must show written proof of competence with a handgun as defined by statutes.
- Pass a background check.
Proof of Competency
The following are accepted as proof of competency:
- Completion of a hunter safety course approved by the Department of Fish and Wildlife.
- Completion of any N.R.A. firearms safety course.
- Completion of any firearms safety course given by N.R.A. certified instructors.
- Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety course.
- Written evidence of experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition.
- Written evidence of experience with a handgun through military service.
- DD214 showing that you had an honorary discharge from the military.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING ONLINE CLASSES: Many online courses DO NOT qualify as proof of competency for an Oregon CHL. The instructor must be a current (not expired) NRA certified instructor or be an instructor certified by a law enforcement agency. A law enforcement agency is a city or municipal police department, a county sheriff’s office, or the State Police. The certificate must list the instructor’s NRA number or the law enforcement agency that certified the instructor. State agencies that train law enforcement officers are NOT law enforcement agencies.
The OSSA (Oregon State Sheriffs’ Association) has an online CHL course that we accept as proof of competency here.
Applications may be obtained from the Sheriff’s Office or downloaded from our Applications and Forms page. You may apply Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Civil Division office located in Room 317 at the Linn County Courthouse, 300 SW 4th Ave., Albany.
You must bring your proof of competency at the time of application. The fee for a new license is $65 payable by cash, check, money order, or debit/credit card (we do not accept American Express). The $15 fee to process your fingerprints is included in the $65 fee. Renewals are $50.
Also, if you change your address at any point, after you change it with the DMV you need to come into our office or the civil office of the county that you are now living in and get it changed on your CHL, which is a $15 charge.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR OUT OF STATE APPLICANTS
The Linn County Sheriff has changed his policy on issuing concealed handgun licenses to non-residents. First, you must possess a CHL from your home state. Due to differing requirements, an out-of-state concealed handgun license may not satisfy the competency requirements (if they do not, please refer to the “Proof of Competency” section at the top of the page). Second, your reason for wanting a CHL must have ties that are specific to Linn County (this can be by either family that resides in Linn County or the ownership of property/business in Linn County) which will need to be specified in a letter written to the Sheriff that you bring with you when applying.