Where can I take a class to meet the requirements?

Many gun dealers have information about where classes are being held. You may also find classes being instructed at some gun shows. The following are links to instructors in this area:

  • Albany Rifle and Pistol Club – Shedd
  • The Baron’s Den – Eugene
  • Personal Defense Solutions – Salem
  • CNS Firearms – Albany
  • Four Corners Rod and Gun Club – Salem
  • The Jacobe Group LLC – Salem
  • LHG Professional Gunsmithing – Scio
  • NRA Instructors – Oregon
  • Newberg Rifle and Pistol Club – Newberg
  • Oregon Firearms Academy – Brownsville
  • State of Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife – Hunter Safety
  • Thunder Ranch – Lakeview
  • Stephen Eichelberger, Attorney at Law – Salem

If I am a veteran with a DD214, does that meet the competency requirements?

If your DD214 indicates that you are competent with a handgun, sidearm, or pistol it will qualify. If your DD214 does not show this or shows “small arms”, we cannot accept it for competency even if you used a handgun while in the service. (Small arms are defined by the Department of Defense as weapons intended for use by individual members of armed or security forces. The definition includes not only handguns but rifles and carbines, sub-machine guns, assault rifles, and light machine guns.)

What do I need to bring when I apply?

You will need to bring two pieces of identification one of which must be government issued and include a photo. You will need to supply us with the names, addresses, and phone numbers of two personal references. These references should be local and non related. If you have a license from another county you can bring that in for proof of competency. If you were ever licensed in this state, bring proof of that license. We may not be able to confirm your previous license status from another county if it has been many years since you had a license and you no longer have the license in your possession. We do have records of all previous Linn County license holders.

How much does it cost?

  • Address Change, Name Change, or Transfer – $19.00  ($15.00 + $4.00 online convenience fee)
  • Renewal and Transfer Renewal – $79.00 ($75.00 + $4.00 online convenience fee)
  • New CHL Application – $119.00 ($100.00 + $15.00 fingerprinting fee + $4.00 online convenience fee)

The Oregon Legislature sets the price for Concealed Handgun Licenses. The prices above reflect the 2021 Legislative Session’s increases on those fees as adopted by Senate Bill 554. The new pricing went into effect on 09/25/2021. There is a $4.00 convenience fee that has been added to our costs.

How long is it valid?

Licenses are valid for four years. If you transfer your license from another county, you will keep the same expiration date.

How long does it take to get a license?

New licenses must be issued in 45 days. Occasionally we are able to process them quicker. A renewal is generally processed in just a few weeks.

Does the license allow me to carry concealed anywhere I go?

A license does not allow you to carry everywhere. You will get a notice where you can carry when you receive your license.

Federal Facilities: You cannot possess a firearm in a Federal Facility. The term “Federal Facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government or where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties. These areas include Federal Courthouses, the Post Office, Social Security Offices, and Recruiting Offices to name a few. You are not prohibited from carrying firearms or other weapons in a Federal Facility incident to hunting or other lawful purpose. (18 USC 930) You may not take a firearm into a military post without the authorization of the post commander.

Airports: You cannot possess weapons in certain areas of airplanes or airports. If you have questions regarding areas off limits or transporting firearms in luggage, you should check with the Transportation Security Administration or the airline you will be flying with. A CHL does not permit you to carry your firearm through the security check point.

National Forests or Wilderness areas: Generally, persons who have obtained a valid concealed handgun license may carry their weapon onto National Forest Service or Bureau of Land Management lands unless there is a specific order issued by the local administrator or forest ranger to the contrary. It is your responsibility to check on restrictions where you plan to visit. Be aware that any Ranger Station or Visitors Center in any National Forest is considered a Federal Building and it is illegal to carry there.

National Parks: Generally, persons who possess valid concealed handgun licenses are not prohibited from carrying their weapons into National Parks.

State Forest Lands: You may not possess loaded firearms on State forest lands that have been designated by the Forester as “Designated Recreation Areas”. These areas may include, but are not limited to campgrounds, camping areas, day use areas, trailheads, staging areas, and boat launch sites. (OAR 629-025-0050)

Indian Reservations and Tribal Property: Because each tribal council makes the rules that apply on its reservation, the firearms rules on Indian reservations vary greatly. For the most part, non-Indians are prohibited from carrying guns on reservations, except with the permission of the tribal council. Therefore, your concealed handgun license probably has no meaning on most Indian reservations. This also applies to certain casinos operated by tribes.

School Property: Generally, persons who possess valid concealed handgun licenses are not prohibited from carrying their weapons on school property.

Court Facilities: Your CHL does not permit you to carry a firearm or other weapon into a court facility. A court facility is defined as a courthouse or that portion of any other building occupied by the Circuit Court, the Court of Appeals, the Supreme Court, the Oregon Tax Court, occupied by personnel related to the operations of those courts, or in which activities related to the operations of those courts takes place. This prohibition applies to the entire courthouse, not just the areas adjacent to the courtrooms. Violation of this law is a Class A Felony. (ORS 166.370(2)(a)).

Private Business: Businesses can make it a condition that you not possess a firearm while being on the premises or in the facility. Most businesses do not regulate concealed carry, however you should expect this to occur at gun or collectable shows, conventions, concerts, and sporting events (one facility that regulates weapons is the Rose Quarter in Portland). If you are found to be carrying a firearm when prohibited, you may be denied a ticket sale, be evicted from or not be allowed onto the grounds, and possibly face arrest for trespass if you refuse to leave. If you paid an admission, you may not get a refund. Most businesses or venues will be posted at the entrance if this applies, however, there is no law that requires it. If you are planning on attending an event and are unsure of the policies, you should call the facility or sponsor prior to attending.

What happens if I move?

If you move, you must file a change of address with our office. If you move out of county, you must apply for a change of address in the county you move to. A new license with your address change will be issued. The cost is listed above.

If I live out of state, can I get a license?

The statues allow the sheriff to waive the residency requirement for residents of a bordering state (Washington, Idaho, Nevada, or California). You must have a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need. This need must be put in a letter addressed to the Sheriff’s Office and you must bring it at the time of application.

How will I find out if my application is denied?

If your application is denied, you will receive a letter outlining the reasons for the denial. You may petition the Circuit Court for a review of the denial within 30 days of receiving the letter.

Why would my license be revoked?

If any act or condition occurs that would prevent a person from receiving a license, it is grounds for revoking the license.

What will disqualify me from obtaining a license?

Oregon law prohibits the issuance of a concealed handgun license to anyone with a felony conviction, a misdemeanor conviction within the last four years, anyone on pretrial release, or anyone subject to a Family Abuse Prevention Act restraining order or stalking order. Oregon and Federal laws also prohibit a person from owning or possessing a gun if they have had a felony conviction that was reduced to a misdemeanor after completion of probation, any convictions of misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence, or is subject to a court protective order that was issued after a hearing in which the person had an opportunity to participate which restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or the child of an intimate partner. Oregon law allows for the denial of a concealed handgun license if you have a history which shows an inclination toward confrontation with others, including neighbors, family members, etc. You may also be denied a concealed handgun license if you have a history of conflict with law enforcement officers, offenses with firearms, documented problems involving alcohol and/or drug abuse.

If I have been denied or revoked before, can I ever reapply?

You may reapply when the condition that caused you to be denied or revoked is resolved.

Will I get a reminder notice when my license is due to expire?

We currently send reminder notices approximately one month prior to expiration. If you do not keep your address current with our office, you will not receive a notice.

Will the license allow me to carry any kind of weapon?

No. The license only allows you to carry a handgun concealed. You may not conceal any weapon as defined by ORS 166.240 which includes a knife with a fixed blade, a knife that has a blade that swings into position by force of a spring or centrifugal force, a dirk, dagger, ice pick, slung shot, metal knuckles, or similar instruments. You also cannot conceal a rifle or shotgun.