Linn County Animal Control enforces the following laws within Linn County excluding the Albany city limits:
- Licensing – Any dog six months of age or with permanent canine teeth which has been in your possession within Linn County for 30 days must be licensed (ORS 609.100).
- It is unlawful for dogs to run at large in Linn County. Any Peace Officer or Animal Control Officer may impound a dog that is found running at large.
- No dog owner or keeper of a dog shall permit a dog to chase, kill, wound, or injure livestock not belonging to the owner or keeper of such dog. The owner or keeper of a dog that has injured or killed livestock is responsible for the amount up to double the amount of damages. Any dog, whether licensed or not, which, while off premises owned or under the control of its owner, kills, wounds, or injures any livestock not belonging to the master of such a dog is a public nuisance and may be killed immediately by any person (ORS 609.150).
- A dog is considered a public nuisance per ORS 609.095 if it:
- Chases vehicles or people
- Damages or destroys the property of others
- Scatters garbage
- Trespasses on private property
- Disturbs any person by frequent or prolonged noise
- Is a female in heat and is running at large
Oregon Revised Statute 609.100 and Linn County Code 560.210 requires that every person owning or keeping any dog that has permanent canine teeth or is six months old, which ever comes first, shall, within thirty days after he becomes the owner or keeper of the dog and yearly thereafter, procure from the County a license for the dog. Failure to purchase a license in punishable by a fine of up to $250.00.
|Spay or Neutered Dog (annual)||$15.00|
|Unaltered Dog (annual)||$25.00|
|Non-enforced Late Fee||$5.00|
|Enforced Late Fee (warning or citation)||$15.00|
|Puppy Identification Tag||$5.00|
A partial year license (minimum of two (2) months) may be purchased for a dog at the rate of $1.25 per month if spay or neutered, or $2.10 per month if a fertile dog. This option is offered so dog owners can comply with license regulation when the rabies vaccination is not valid for the OAR required 10 months to obtain a full year license.
**Note: Late fees will apply if applicable.
How to Purchase a License
To purchase a license bring or mail a current rabies certificate from a veterinarian current through 10 months of the license year and a spay or neuter certificate, if applicable, with the appropriate fee listed above to:
Linn County Animal Control
3008 Ferry St. SW
Albany, OR 97321
If mailed, your certificate, license receipt, and tag will be returned to you by mail.
Puppy Identification Tag
Do you have a puppy that is not of licensing age & would like to have an identification tag in the event you lose your family pet?
You may purchase a puppy tag from Linn County Animal Control for a fee of $5.00. Your information will be logged into our system and at six (6) months of age a reminder to license your dog will be sent to you through the mail.