For your information as a prospective member of the Linn County Sheriff’s Mounted Posse, it is felt you should be aware of the aims, requirements and responsibilities of membership.
A. The Posse was formed to:
- Assist local and state agencies in the preservation of law and order
- Stimulate good horsemanship
- Promote good fellowship and sportsmanship
- Perpetuate the early days of Oregon
- The Sheriff of Linn County is the Commander of the Posse
- For the administration of its own affairs, the following are elected by the membership:
- First Lieutenant
- Second Lieutenant, Search & Rescue
- Second Lieutenant, Mounts
- Board of Directors (3 elected by members)
- Limited to 50
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- Resident of Linn County or immediate area
- At least 21 years of age
- Upon election will be duly sworn as a Deputy Sheriff
- $30.00 annually
- Members must furnish their own mount and western equipment and transportation
a. All regular due paying members, with the exceptions of life members will own a horse or mule, Western saddle type, transportation for their horse or mule, unless they are unable to ride due to illness, injury, or have a physical handicap. There will be a grace period to replace their horse or mule, should it die or be sold.
- Suitable western saddle, color brown
Must be a semi-automatic, Glock, Smith & Wesson, Sig Sauer, Beretta, Heckler & Koch, Ruger, Kimber, Les Baer, Springfield, Wilson Combat, Para-Ordnance and Colt or any other similar quality 1911 variant with Rangemaster approval. Semi-automatics approved for Duty/uniformed use will be 9mm,.40 S&W, or.45 ACP calibers with a minimum barrel length of 3″ and a maximum barrel length of 5.32″. Finish being blue steel, matte black, or stainless steel.
Semi-automatics approved for Secondary duty will be 9mm,.40 S&W, or.45 ACP calibers with a minimum barrel length of 2.5 “and no less than five shots. Finish being blue steel, matte black, or stainless steel.
*ALL FIREARMS MUST BE APPROVED BY SHERIFF’S OFFICE RANGEMASTER
3.Applicant shall have equipment and uniform within 60 days after being elected to membership
3.Conduct and appearance:
a. Members shall conduct their personal lives in an exemplary manner at all times
b. Any member who conducts themselves in a manner not becoming a gentleman/lady either in the Posse or elsewhere may be reprimanded, suspended or expelled.
c. The use of intoxicants while in uniform is prohibited and their use at other times must be with propriety.
d. Any member who does anything calculated to disturb the harmony or impair the good name of the Posse or Sheriff’s Office, with special emphasis on personal debts and extra-marital activities, may be expelled.
4.No felony convictions or drug use (to include marijuana) by member. A background and Drug test upon entry into the Posse prior to being sworn in by the Sheriff.
5.Firearms: Must receive basic use of force training and qualify semi-annually with your duty weapon.
a. Each member is required to carry suitable liability and property damage insurance as shall meet the approval of the Captain and the Sheriff.
D. Posse Functions:
- Regularly scheduled events
a. Monthly meetings at the Sheriff’s Office on the first Wednesday of each month.
- Other events as scheduled
a. Horse show
b. Trail rides
e. Potluck dinners
f. O.A.M.P. events
In the event that you have questions that have not been covered by the foregoing, it is suggested that you contact any of the officers or your sponsor.
Linn County Sheriff’s Posse Uniform Regulations
- Brand: Resistol/Stetson
- Model: Ft. Worth/Ranger
- Color: Silver Belly
- Brim: 3 ½ inch
- Dress Pants
- Firearm (as described above)
- Holster: Black Western style
- Work Pants: Unfaded blue jeans and black jeans
- Boots: Brown Western Style
- Dress Shirt
- Dress Scarf
- Black Duty Belt
- Saddle Blanket
- Jacket: Green SAR Jacket
If you would like to join the Posse and believe that you can fulfill the requirements, please fill out the Mounted Posse application form.