Linn County Sheriff Bruce Riley would like to remind people of the upcoming winter storm tonight and tomorrow, bringing ice and snow. The roads will likely be very hazardous and extreme caution should be used if travel is necessary. There are a few simple steps to help keep you safe during these types of weather incidents.
- Avoid travel unless necessary when winter weather is in your area.
- Slow down.
- Always wear your seatbelt.
- Leave early – allow more travel time; expect delays.
- Increase distance between vehicles, it takes longer to stop on snow or ice.
- Clear all windows on your vehicle prior to travel.
- Use your headlights.
- Use caution on bridges and overpasses as they are susceptible to freezing before the roadway.
- Avoid using cruise control which can cause your vehicle’s wheels to continue turning on slippery surfaces.
- Ensure your vehicle has a full tank of gas in the event you are stranded for an extended period of time.
- Keep your cell phone charged.
- Take a blanket and emergency supplies while traveling.
- Notify a family member or friend of your travel plans.
In the event you are involved in a crash, please be patient. Emergency vehicles have an increased response time during these types of weather events and we experience a high volume of calls for service. If you are involved in a non-injury crash please try and move your vehicle out of the roadway to avoid causing another crash. If your vehicle becomes stranded or wrecked but not on the roadway, removal of your vehicle might have to wait until conditions improve for safety considerations.