Linn County Sheriff Bruce Riley would like you and your family to enjoy a safe Labor Day Weekend. The long holiday weekend marks the end of summer and is typically packed with celebratory events like; backyard barbecues, trips to the lake, picnics at the park, and camping. Often events like these present hazards. “Safety First” should always be your motto, regardless of the activity planned. To help you enjoy the weekend and stay safe, we have prepared the following Labor Day Weekend safety tips:
Safety While Traveling
* Carry an emergency supply kit in your vehicle.
* Let someone know your destination, route, and arrival time.
* Check weather conditions beforehand and throughout the day.
* Buckle up and observe speed limits.
* Avoid driving distractions such as eating, cell phone conversations and texting.
Safety While Swimming & Boating
* Check weather and water conditions beforehand and throughout the day. Water temperatures
can be deceiving and unexpectedly cold.
* Always swim with a friend and stay in designated swimming areas which are supervised by a
* Provide constant supervision to children in or near the water and always stay within arms
reach of young children and inexperienced swimmers while they are in the water.
* Wear a U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket.
* Protect yourself from the sun by applying a waterproof sunblock – reapply as needed.
Safety While Grilling
* Keep the grill away from the house, tree branches, grass, or anything that could catch fire.
* Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
* Keep children and pets away from the grill.
* Never add charcoal starter fluid when coals have already been ignited.
Safety While Camping
* Pack plenty of food, water, clothing and blankets.
* Keep a safe distance from wild animals.
* Practice good campfire safety and never leave a fire unattended.
* Inform others where you will be camping and when you plan to return.
* Make sure where you plan to camp is an authorized camping area.
*Check for fire restrictions in your camping area at: http://firerestrictions.us/or/oregon
For your safety, we will have saturation patrols working this weekend on the roadways and in many of the camping areas. Their primary focus will be enforcing distracted driving laws and DUII enforcement.
The Linn County Sheriff’s Office wishes you a safe and fun Labor Day Weekend!